Once you have dreadlocks in your hair, it’s important to take care of them to ensure that they continue growing. Like any other hairstyle, you should wash dreadlocks regularly and use products like moisturizers and oils to keep your hair healthy.
- Wash your dreadlocks once every 2-4 days
It’s important to keep your dreads clean and to remove buildup from your locks. Aim to wash your hair at least 1 time per week, but not every day. It’s best to wait at least 2 days between each wash to allow your scalp to produce natural oils.
Read also: The 5 Stages Of The Dreadlock Journey
2. Wet your hair with warm water
In the shower or at a wash tub, get your hair wet by spraying it with warm water. Make sure the water isn’t so hot that you can’t touch it, and don’t soak your dreads for more than a few moments at a time. Aim for them to be coated with water, but not completely saturated.
3. Massage a quarter-sized drop of shampoo into your scalp and dreads
Start with a small amount of residue-free shampoo, and work it into your hair, starting at the scalp. Gently pat the shampoo into your dreads, but don’t rub or twist the dreadlocks while you wash them.
4. Let the shampoo sit in your hair for 1-2 minutes
Before you rinse your hair, let the shampoo sit on your dreadlocks and scalp. This will ensure that it is working to clean the hair and remove any oils or dirt from your locks.
- If you have thin or dry hair, only let the shampoo sit for a minute or so to prevent it from making your hair too clean, which can cause it to unravel.
5. Rinse your dreadlocks thoroughly after using shampoo
Let the water run all the way through your locks, from your scalp to the end of your hair. As you’re rinsing, squeeze your dreadlocks to remove the shampoo and let the water wash it away.
6. Squeeze the water out of your dreadlocks after you wash them
Once you’ve rinsed your dreadlocks, dry them by using your hands to squeeze out any excess water trapped in the locks. Then, use a microfiber towel to pat your scalp and dreadlocks completely dry.
Trending video of the day;
Photo credit: Getty