Jollof rice is popular in western Africa. It is delicious and spiced and stewed in a flavourful tomato broth. Everyone in Africa however cooks it differently.
Below is a recipe for Ghanaian style Jollof rice.
Ingredients: Large yellow onions, Tomato, Tomato paste, Vegetable oil, Habanero Pepper, Water, Mixed Vegetable, Long Grain Rice, Chicken Bouilion Cubes, Mixed Dried Herbs, Curry Powder, Garlic Powder and Ground ginger.
Preparation: Step by Step
- Add onions and 2 tablespoons of oil to a blender and blend until smooth. Then transfer to a bowl.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and habanero pepper to the blender, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a separate medium bowl.
- Heat a ⅓ cup (80 ml) of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion puree and cook until the water has cooked out and the puree is starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomato puree and add the curry powder, garlic powder, ginger, dried herbs, and crushed bouillon cubes. 6. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until the stew has reduced by half and is deep red in colour. 7. Add the rice, mixed vegetables, and water. 8. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with foil and a lid. Simmer for another 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through. 9. It’s Done. Enjoy.
Photo credit: Getty