Your spouse may not be the best person to vent to when feeling frustrated, which may cause additional strain on your marital relationship.
Here are a few tips on how to handle a difficult mother-in-law:
1. Communicate Openly : Begin a respectful and open conversation with your mother-in-law. Tell her about your longing to have a positive relationship with her and listen to her concerns or grievances without being defensive.
2. Create limits : Establish boundaries with her and ensure that both parties understand and respect each other’s space and limits. Expressly communicate your expectations and politely stand up for yourself when necessary.
3. Find a Common Interest: Look for something you both have in common (apart from her son), like topics that you can go over. Finding common interests can help build and improve your relationship. It could be something as simple as discussing hobbies, cooking, or family traditions or even recipes and delicacies
4. Be understanding: Try to understand your mother-in-law’s angle and pamper her feelings. It doesn’t matter if you agree with her or not, something as simple as acknowledging her would ease tension and show compassion.
5. Discuss with your Husband : Discuss the situation with your husband and seek his advice and support on the issue. It’s important for you and your husband to be on the same page. It’s “for better and for worse till death do us part” for a reason.
6. Be respectful: Put aside the difficulties and maintain the respect you give her, it’s important to behave as though you are unaware of the situation and just remain yourself. Don’t engage in any argument and violent show of emotions. Remain calm and respectful at any given time. Any negative response can escalate situations and might even be used against you.
If after all these things, she still hates and troubles you, the best result is to seek professional help and turn it to a prayer point. Not only does a toxic mother-in-law cause tension in a family, her behaviors can lead to substantial impacts on you
This relationship can result in heightened stress, lead to symptoms of burnout, anxiety, or depression. It’s important to address these issues before they develop into long-lasting problems. Trending video of the day;
Photo Credit: Getty
Your source for bridal and wedding news, wedding planning, real weddings, Relationship and fashion news. Check out the website for the hottest wedding fashion, photos, tips and inspiration!